Home > Academy Topics: Contacts and Households
The SmartPad records an audit trail of changes and other activities. It contains notes, meetings, activity outcomes, correspondence and other data, providing a chronology of your interactions with a client.
SmartPad entries can be created manually by SmartOffice users, or they can be created automatically by SmartOffice when certain events occur in the system.
Viewing a Contact's SmartPad
- Search for a contact and open the contact record (if you forgot how, see the Search lesson).
Click the Menu button and select View SmartPad Notes.
Tip: You can also press the F7 key to open the SmartPad.
Changing SmartPad Views
When the SmartPad dialog box is open, you can select different views depending on the type of information you are looking for.
- To view only those entries created by users (i.e., not those created automatically by SmartOffice), select Manual Entries Only in the upper-left corner.
- To view only those entries belonging to a particular category (e.g., Activities/Tasks, E-mail, Letters, etc.), select any option from the Category drop-down list.
- To view notes for a contact and all of that contact's household members, select the household name from the SmartPad for drop-down list.
Opening and Editing SmartPad Entries
When editing a SmartPad entry, note that previous versions are retained for auditing purposes.
In the SmartPad, click the link in the first column to open a note.
Make changes to the note, if necessary.
- Click Close to exit the SmartPad dialog box.
Create a SmartPad Entry for a Single Contact
While viewing a contact record, click the Menu button and select New SmartPad Note.
Tip: You can also press SHIFT+F7.
- Type a note. Example: Saw John at a fundraiser this weekend.
- Click OK.
Creating a SmartPad Entry for Multiple Contacts
- Do a contact search.
- In the list of search results, check the boxes next to two or more contacts (e.g., a married couple).
- Click the Menu button and select New SmartPad Note.
- Type a note (e.g., Saw John and Jane at a fundraiser this weekend) and then click OK.
- Make sure the contacts are still selected.
- Click the Menu button and select View SmartPad Notes. The SmartPad entries of all selected contacts appear together. This is called a “consolidated SmartPad” view.