B. Step-by-step instructions
Key relations are personal, business and professional links among contacts. Tracking these relationships can help you better understand and service you clients, mine for sales opportunities and more.
Search for key relations
- Search for and open David Elliot’s contact record (if you forgot how, see the Search lesson).
- Click the Key Relations content link to see all of David’s key relations. Note these sections:
- Key Relations lists David’s relationships with other contacts.
- Business Relations lists businesses that have a connection to David.
Add a spouse key relation
- Click the Personal content link on David Elliot’s contact record.
- Click the Menu button and select Advanced > Create a Copy of ‘Contact’ Record.
- Change the Last Name field to Elliot.
- Change the First Name field to Stephanie.
- Change the Greeting field to Steph.
- Under Family Information, click Add Spouse/Partner.
- Use the search dialog box to find and select David Elliot.
- When the Key Relationship Detail dialog box opens, under Define the Relationship, select Husband from the first drop-down list. The second drop-down list automatically changes to Wife.
- Click OK.
- When asked whether you want to create a household, click Yes.
- When asked whether you want to copy addresses and phone numbers to the spouse record, click No (in this example, the information already exists in both records).
- Select Menu > Save.
Add a dependent
A dependent is a special type of key relation. Typically, it’s a client's child or other non-client who has no holdings that you would need to track using a full contact record. Dependents don’t show up in regular contact searches.
- Click the Key Relations content link on Stephanie Elliot’s contact record.
- Under Key Relations, click the Options button and select Add Dependent.
- Click New.
- Enter the dependent’s last name (Elliot) and first name (Josephine).
- Click Save & Close. The relationship detail dialog box opens.
- In the Relation Type drop-down list, select Family.
- Under Define the Relationship, select Daughter from the first drop-down list and Mother from the second drop-down list.
- In the next two drop-down lists, define Josephine’s relationship to David Elliot in the same way, selecting David as Josephine’s father.
- Click OK.
- When prompted to add the new relationship to a household, click Yes.